Friday, January 28, 2011

Historic Houston Majesticity


Majesticity, originally uploaded by ZERO CEM.

The Majestic Metro. Currently, it's a venue for weddings, parties and corporate events; but long ago it was a silver screen era theater (and I believe it's the only one of it's kind still standing in Houston).

I was "on assignment" on downtown Houston exploring Main St (when I say "on assignment", I mean trying to get pics for one of my favorite flickr groups, Assignment Houston), when on my way back to the car I stopped at the Majestic and started shooting some pics. That's when the manager stepped out.

At first, I thought I was going to get the "sorry sir, no pictures please" but to my surprise he was a very nice person and actually allowed us to go inside to know the place and let us know some of the history of the place.

Unfortunately for me, I'm still working on my people skills... and I was too shy to ask for permission to take some pics of the inside (not to mention I was worried they wouldn't come out anyway because of the low light) so I know I miss a chance there, but is just one of those things I'll need to work on.

Still the outside was nice and I got a nice story out of it so all in all it was a good experience. I was going to elaborate on the history of the place but Cinema Houston has a very comprehensive history so I've better point you that way in case you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment